It’s no secret that I’ve had Japan on the brain, but last night I had the strangest dream manifesting just how much my worries about everything going on there have permeated my mind. In it, I looked down at my hands and they were dipped in red, red blood that slowly dripped off to reveal perfect red circles on all my nails. In essence, each one of my fingers was tipped with a mini Japanese flag. I’m not sure what the dream meant but I became obsessed with recreating it in waking life. I wish there was some way that I could use this resulting Japanicure to raise more money for nihon (if anyone has any ideas, let me know), but for now, it’s just a silly manicure. In any case, if you want to recreate it, read on for the step by step.
You will need:
– A red nail polish and a white nail polish. I just used ones that I had but if you need to buy new ones, I recommend Priti because it’s natural and non-toxic.
– Reinforcements (remember, like those ones you used to use when your looseleaf sheets tore?)
– Any sticky backed paper and a hole puncher
1. First, start with clean, freshly washed hands.
2. Paint on a few coats of white polish. Let each coat dry thoroughly before you apply the next.
Tip: I know this sounds strange, but someone once told me that you should always start by painting your right hand first and leave your thumbs for last because having paint on them makes them less deft. As crazy as it sounds, it makes a difference!
3. If you have reinforcements, you can skip this step. If you don’t, take your hole puncher and punch a hole into your sticky backed paper. Then cut around the paper so that it is a strip a little thinner than the height of your nail (see next pic). Repeat this 9 times.
4. Then, press one of the strips (or a reinforcement) onto each of your fingernails. You can do them all at once or in batches (which I recommend). Before you do this, make certain the white base coat is as dry as possible.
5. Once your “template” for the red hinomaru circle is pressed firmly onto your nail, paint a thin layer or red polish over it. After a minute or so, gently peel it off.
6. Repeat step 5 until all of your nails are done.
Also, in case you hadn’t heard, this Saturday is the Holla for Japan Benefit Concert featuring Magnetic North, Taiyo Na, Vudoo Soul, Sam Kang, Alfa, the host Sheng Wang and THE HOME:WORD HOUSE BAND so don’t miss it!