Being from Queens, NY, I’m no stranger to the name necklace. And after Carrie wore hers on Sex and the City, they started popping up on everyone from Beyonce to Christina Aguilera to Nicki Minaj (also a Queens girl – represent!). But with the price of gold what it is today, you might not want to pay an arm and a leg just for something to wear around your neck. I didn’t, which is why I made my own name necklace from my old Amex Gold card. Read on to see how easy it is!
An old credit card
A necklace chain (preferably one you already own)
2 jump rings (hoops for jewelry making)
A straight edge
An exacto knife or other cutting tool
A pushpin or a thin nail
A pair of pliers
1. Using a scissor or blade, cut out the piece of the credit card with your name on it. The design of this piece is up to you! It can be straight or jagged, have your whole name, just your first or just your last. Just remember to leave about a small space at the top so that you can punch holes for the chain.
2. Then, place the piece you just cut out on a notebook or other semi-soft surface you don’t mind punching holes into, and use your pushpin or thin nail to create a hole at the upper right corner (this is where your jump ring will go later). NOTE: Make sure you don’t make your hole too close to the edge. Repeat this step for the upper left corner of your name plate.
3. Take one of the jump rings and slip it into the first opening. Close up the jump ring using your fingers or pliers. If the opening is too small, repeat step 2 to make it larger. Repeat for the second jump ring in the other corner.
4. Last, slip your chain through the two jump rings.
5. Congratz – you now have a new, recycled name necklace!
If you love the idea of a custom name necklace but don’t have the time or patience to make one yourself, Clossette can create one for you. Buy it here.